Thursday, April 10, 2014

Precision nutrition for athletes, versioned and improved

-Wayne Nilsen
For background on this article, see the original

Version 4 link to recipe:

  • Upgraded fat sources to improve omega 6/3 ratio
  • Additions
  • Deletions
    • Olive oil

Version 5 link to recipe:

  • Switched micronutrient sources to theoretically improve flavor (still untested)
  • Additions
    • GNC Mega Men Sport - Vanilla Bean - a powdered multivitamin
    • Potassium Citrate - pill form potassium supplement
    • NOW Foods Calcium/magnesium 1000/500 mg
  • Deletions
    • Target Men’s Multi - pill form multivitamin
    • Nature Made Potassium Gluconate - pill form potassium supplement
    • Soy flour

Fat upgrades (V4)

After some great discussion and looking at some other recipes at discourse.soylent.me I modified the fat content of the recipe to include a more favorable omega 6 omega 3 ratio of around 2 to 1. Thanks to user cheapskate88 for introducing a simple and relatively cost effective way of obtaining excellent fat profiles.

Micronutrient source upgrade (V5)

GNC… This GNC Mega Man supplement was in People Chow 3.0.1 which my recipe is based on. I excluded it and filled the gaps because, as a frequent consumer of dietary supplements, I have always found that GNC sold snake oil more than many other retailers and at inflated prices. This is of course a matter of my own opinion and experience. This left me ethically opposed to them as some sort of blood thirsty corporation.

  • Pros
    • Powdered micronutrient supplement implies a slow dose over the day as opposed to shorter, stronger doses. I could imagine this would increase bio-availability although I have not looked deeply into this issue.
    • The flavor of soy flour is strong and unpleasant. Mega Man replaces soy flour because it contains molybdenum which most multivitamins supplements do not.
  • Cons - GNC product

In this case the pros obviously outweigh the cons and the choice was made.

Weight gain progress

For me this recipe is designed to be at a caloric surplus and it obviously is. I recently started tracking my weight on a FitBit Aria, this chart represents 21 days of progress. As a matter of full disclosure I was 210lbs for about a year but I had just gotten back from vacation where I did not eat as much as I should have and lost about 7 lbs. Also, I used the shake as my minimum intake, occasionally I would socially eat food as well. This chart is a good example of how consistency over time moves the scale. On average, I gained ½ lb/day with my body fat going from about 11% on March 20th to 10.8% on April 10th. I am logging my workouts on thesquatrack as user 7zf.

weight

Weights were logged daily before and after sleep under similar circumstances with some exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment